The Voies d'Eau du Hainaut, family discoveries along the river
Voies d'Eau du Hainaut asbl
Rue des Clercs 31
- MAPS: Google Maps
The Voies d'Eau du Hainaut, 3 hydraulic sites including the historic Canal du Centre and the hydraulic lifts of Stépy-Thieu, which are recognised by UNESCO!
Climb aboard 3 hydraulic sites with your children and head off to explore the spectacular Voies d'Eau du Hainaut (Hainaut waterways). It's the ideal place to discover 3 masterpieces of Waloon hydraulic heritage.
At the historic Canal du centre, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, go on a guided tour of the Strépy-Thieu hydraulic boat lift that combines boat and train as you discover hydraulic engineering.
In Strépy-Thieu, visit the new museum dedicated to the merchant navy and watch the film about how this staggering piece of engineering works, with a view over the machine room.
At the Ronquières inclined plain, take a tour-boat and follow boatmen through their world, get access to the tower and observe the marine traffic through the glass walkways!
Great fun for children
Children from 3 to 6 love:
- The boat trip.
- Talking to the crew members and asking them all their questions about navigation.
- Admiring the nature that surrounds the canal, such as the ducks, birds....and the stature of the infrastructure.
- Having their picture taken on the boat or alongside the comic book characters from the "Pays de Génies" (Land of geniuses) show-itinerary.
Children from 6 to 12 love:
- The pleasure of a boat ride.
- Getting their hands on the models and answering the quiz.
- Discovering the in and outs of a boatman thanks to the "Un bateau, une vie" show,
- Visiting the exhibition on the fossils that were found during construction.
- Relaxing on the cruise.
- Experiencing the crossing of the lifts and the inclined plain.
- Discovering what it entails to be a boatman.
- Learning the history of the canals.
- Taking in the view of the region from the top of Strépy-Thieu or from the Ronquières tower.
- Watching the films on the construction and working of these pieces of art.
New: Electric boats and bike rental
Discover the canal abord an electric boat or rent a bicycle next to lift n°3.
Large families - from €6, see official website.
Free for children under age of 3.
Boat trips to the lock in Ittre are also possible.
Visit the themed show-routes that present inland navigation and our famous Belgians.
Les Voies d'Eau du Hainaut also offer special events that you can follow on Facebook or Twitter.
Tourist information on the town MONS
At the heart of the Park of Canals and Castles, which stretches out from Thieu to Ronquières, via La Louvière and Godarville, you can discover remarkable historical or...